1 the occurrence of surplus liquid (as water) exceeding the limit or capacity [syn: overflow, overspill]
2 a final election to resolve an earlier election that did not produce a winner
- That portion of precipitation or irrigation on an area which does not infiltrate, but instead is discharged from the area.
- Dissolved chemicals, etc, included in
- The runoff of nitrates is poisoning the lake.
- A second or further round of an indecisive election, after
other candidates (often all but the last two) have been eliminated
- There will now be a runoff as neither front runner received more than 50% of the vote.
portion of precipitation or irrigation which does not infiltrate
- German: Abfluss
dissolved chemicals, etc, included in such water
second or further round of an indecisive election
- German: Stichwahl
Run-off or runoff may refer to:
- A type of insurance, where syndicators and underwriters go into liquidation
- In hydrology, runoff is the combination of surface runoff and interflow. It also equivalent to quick flow
- An alternative term in printing for bleed
- Two-round system - a voting system used to elect a single winner, whereby only two candidates from the first round continue to the second round
- Instant-runoff voting - an electoral system whereby voters rank the candidates in order of preference
- Text formatting computer programs
bout, by-election, caucus, closed primary, congressional election, contest, contested election, decathlon, defluxion, direct primary, discharge, double-header, doubles, drain, drainage, effluence, efflux, effluxion, effusion, election, event, exhalation, exhaust, flowoff, foursome, game, games of chance, general election, go, gush, mandatory primary, match, meet, nonpartisan primary, open primary, optional primary, outfall, outflow, outflowing, outpour, outpouring, partisan election, pentathlon, play, play-off, preference primary, presidential election, presidential preference primary, presidential primary, primary, primary election, race, referendum, runoff election, runoff primary, singles, sport, threesome, twosome